Sunday, May 10, 2015

Spending Time with My Kids; Gardening

When I was kid I used to help my dad with the backyard garden. I'm sure I wasn't really a huge help but enjoyed the time we spent together outside. In fact, I just love being outside and have since I was a little kid!

When we moved in to our house, last year, one of my dreams was to have a raised planter bed. I hadn't done outdoor gardening in decades and was a super rookie. I was able to take some of my skills from what I learned, and with the help of watching youtube, we started a pretty cool little garden.

Our first year we bought most of what we planted. We purchased: zucchini, watermelon and green bell peppers from Home Depot. We also had beets and carrot seed we planted. The zucchini went crazy, the squirrels ate the watermelon, the carrots tasted... interesting and the beets were awesome!

We took what we learned and started earlier this year to get our garden ready.
(Planter Bed) 
(Sophie Planing) 
(Our germinated seeds) 
(Add Water)
After starting: beets, radish and zucchini we have added: tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and today watermelon!

(Zucchini going great)
(The bed has sprouted)
(Baby Persian cucumbers sprouting)
(Tomato plant)
(Leah watering)
I share all the pictures to give you a glimpse of the progress we're having. 

It is so much fun to teach my girls about germinating, planting and caring for our garden. Its fun to see seeds crack open and then turn into plants! We have great conversations outside and sometimes we just act silly, but the best part is I'm spending time with my kids and making memories! 

No comments: